[Freeswitch-users] Few question regarding move from Asterisk to FS

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Jan 23 11:57:02 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Ivica Samija
<ivica.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> our company have implemented two Asterisk servers to:
> - connect two company sites
> - transition to IP telephony
> - cut down TCO regarding telephony
>
> Our interconnection schema:
>
> --T1/E1 provider1--<           >
> --T1/E1 provider2--< Asterisk1 >--T1/E1/ trunk--< propriety PBX1 >
> ---SIP provider3---<           >
>                     SIP trunk
>                   < Asterisk2 >--T1/E1/ trunk--< propriety PBX2 >
>
> On each site we have number of IP phones connected to Asterisk and
> analog phones connected to propriety PBX.
> Features implemented on Asterisk boxes are:
> - IVR
> - queue
> - conference
> - DISA
> - BLF
> - transfer calls
> All was more or less good until we had to implement call rating (we
> have to keep track cost made on each extension for statistic).
> Company policy is that implementation has to be in house. We hit brick
> wall because Asterisk have inaccurate CDRs (transfers, forwards,...)
> I am looking in FS for last few weeks and it seams to me that it can
> replace our Asterisk boxes, and more :).
> I am a little confused with XML config but it seams to me that it is
> worth of learning.
> For most of my question I have found answers in documentation wiki and
> on list archive, but I have just a few question still without answer.
> I am sorry if the answers are out there but I was to clumsy to find
> them. In that case some info or link woud be great.
> So here we go:
> 1) OpenZap is stable enough that it can be used in production? As you
> can see we depend on 4 zap trunks.

I would highly recommend doing a test with your provider and your PBX
to see if there are any interop issues. Also, OpenZAP has a PRI issue
where channels don't go back to DOWN (i.e. idle/on-hook) properly.
It's a known issue that is being worked on but it's being done in a
volunteer's spare time so there's no ETA on that. I would recommend
that you hop on IRC and join both #freeswitch and #openzap channels.
User Cypromis is putting some openzap stuff into production next week
so you might want to pick his brain on the issues that he sees.

-MC