[Freeswitch-users] Vmware voice quality

jeff sacksteder jsacksteder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 13:33:43 PST 2009

This is a known issue with all virtualization solutions. The realtime
clocks inside the Virtual Machine jitter quite a bit which causes
havoc with the udp media streams. I have never heard of someone using
any VoIP product inside a VM and being happy with the result. To the
best of my knowledge, all the current VM products suffer from this -
Hyper-V, Xen and VMware, VMWare being the worst.

Xen shares access to the system clock with paravirtualized  guests
directly, so you might find that to be somewhat better than VMWare.

More here - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

The performance of the server is irrelevant. Google for UDP jitter in
combination with VMWare.