[Freeswitch-users] Starting FS on OSX (10.4.11 PPC)

Ivan C Myrvold ivan at myrvold.org
Fri Jan 16 12:54:44 PST 2009

I have chown the  freeswitch directory to my user imyrvold, therefore
I put it in ~/Library/LaunchDaemons.
Do you run freeswitch as root, as you put it in /System/library/
LaunchDaemons? That directory should be reserved anyway for Apple's
system tools.
A better idea would be to put it in /Library/LaunchDaemons if you run
it as root (but you should in my opinion run it as a normal user, as I
have (almost) always done).

Ivan

Den 16. jan.. 2009 kl. 20:12 skrev Martin Joseph:

> On Jan 16, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Ivan C Myrvold wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried using launchctl for FreeSWITCH. But when I saw your
>> post, I tried it out. I have no problem getting it to work:
>>
>> I make a file "org.freeswitch.freeswitch.plist" and save it to ~/
>> Library/LaunchAgents with the following content:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd
>> ">
>> <plist version="1.0">
>> <dict>
>> 	<key>KeepAlive</key>
>> 	<true/>
>> 	<key>Label</key>
>> 	<string>org.freeswitch.freeswitch</string>
>> 	<key>Program</key>
>> 	<string>/usr/local/freeswitch/bin/freeswitch</string>
>> 	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
>> 	<true/>
>> 	<key>ServiceIPC</key>
>> 	<true/>
>> </dict>
>> </plist>
>>
>> Then in Terminal.app, I do a "launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
>> org.freeswitch.freeswitch.plist"
>>
>> If you do the same command, but unload instead of load, it should
>> stop
>> freeswitch.
>>
>> Does this work for you?
>
> Huh,
>
> I have been trying to do something similar, but putting the file in /
> System/Library/LaunchDaemons.
>
> Strangely, I tried your file right now (in LaunchDaemons) and
> freeswitch is started, but it doesn't respond to my devices trying to
> register?
>
> Weird.
>
> If I kill it and start it manually, it immediately responds and my
> devices register.
>
> Ideas?
> Thanks,
>
> Marty
>>

>> Ivan
>>
>> Den 15. jan.. 2009 kl. 22:54 skrev Martin Joseph:
>>
>>> Hello again FreeSwitchers,
>>>
>>> I have built the 1.02 on 10.4.11(OSX) and had no problems with that.
>>>
>>> I have never been able to build from the SVN, but that is another
>>> story.
>>>
>>> Now that I have migrated to 1.02 I was wondering if I can get some
>>> help on a long standing issue I have with starting FS at boot.
>>>
>>> I am hoping to use Launchd which is the standard on OSX 10.4 and I
>>> attempted to cobble together a script, but haven't had great
>>> results.
>>>
>>> I did search for wiki entries on this, but haven't found any help
>>> with
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>> Thanks,