[Freeswitch-users] [Freeswitch-dev] VMWare voice quality

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Jan 15 12:37:15 PST 2009

> To the contrary, we have had quite good results in virtualized
> environments and you don't really need timing that is that accurate to
> make it work.

If you don't handle RTP, I'm sure it is amazing. However, if you have to do
voicemail, stream audio from the server or do any kind of actual
time/latency/jitter sensitive processing, I don't care how much you tune
your hypervisor, it's never going to scale.

> We work quite well on amazon EC2 for example.  There
> are 2 issues I know about with vmware, 1 is you need to set a setting
> on the host to extend somewhat sane clocks being available, the second
> is I have seen issues with the bridged network adapter actually
> doubling up all packets causing very strange issues, I suggest not
> using bridged networking if you experience this.

I've not seen this behavior on Vmware ESX 3.5u2. Maybe an issue on Vmware
Server or Workstation?