[Freeswitch-users] How does location of FreeSWITCH server matter?

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:45:49 PST 2009

On 1/8/09, Miles Keaton <mileskeaton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to FreeSWITCH and hope I could ask the community's suggestion
>  or experience with how the location of your FreeSWITCH server affects
>  the quality of the VoIP call.
>
>  I'm using JunctionNetworks (http://pstn.junctionnetworks.com/) for SIP
>  trunking.  Their servers are in NYC.

  I take it they at least proxy the media there whether or not they
ultimately terminate/originate it on the PSTN themselves.

>  I'm trying to decide between running FreeSWITCH on a Debian dedicated
>  server in Virginia (http://www.serverbeach.com/) or a FreeBSD
>  dedicated server in San Diego (http://www.m5hosting.com/).

  Go with Virginia, and I will tell you why...

>  This is for a VERY small business without a lot of phone traffic, but
>  our users are spread around the world, in LA, Toronto, NYC, Berlin,
>  London, Bangalore, and Hong Kong.
>
>  I've used both for a couple months and they both seem fine.  Since I'm
>  in LA, I get a better response-speed from the San Diego server, but
>  people on the east coast might have the opposite experience.  My
>  recent FreeSWITCH calls through the Virginia server have sounded quite
>  lo-fi.  I also like FreeBSD better than Debian.
>
>  What would you recommend?

  Virginia

>  Server-location doesn't matter?

  It matters.

>  Server-location does matter?

  It matters.

>  Location doesn't matter much but the colocation facility matters more?

  It matters, but the *bandwidth/network* used by your colo matters too.

>  Any suggestions appreciated.  I'm trying to make a decision, but
>  realized I didn't have all the facts.
>
>  Thanks!

  A little explanation...  Your media is at least going to NYC no
matter what you do.  There is no other way it's going to get to/from
the PSTN (that's where Junction is taking it, after all).  In
FreeSWITCH there are a lot of options for handling media but let's
assume two basic possibilities:

1)  You have to handle the media from your endpoints with FreeSWITCH.
Your media will have to go from Endpoint <-> VA <-> NYC <-> PSTN
2)  You don't have to handle the media with FreeSWITCH and it can go
directly to New York: Endpoint <-> NYC <-> PSTN

  Either way, the path will be shorter if the server is in VA.  The
only way you could lose is if you really hate Debian or ServerBeach
sucks.  My experience with ServerBeach in VA is pretty good.  The
PEER1 network is well peered and quite decent.  It can get you to New
York quite quickly.  Trust me, I know this ;).

  If your server was in LA your endpoints could still go directly to
New York if possible (no nat, etc).  If not, the media is now proxied
in LA on it's way to NYC and vice versa.  That's a long haul...

  Also, I would imagine you're planning on having media always served
from FreeSWITCH - voicemail, conferencing, IVR, etc.  In this case
Virginia wins yet again.

  Virginia.

--
Kristian Kielhofner