[Freeswitch-users] encryption infos needed

Ognjen Seslija oseslija at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 02:32:16 PST 2009

Hello,

I'm using FreeSWITCH mostly as a PBX for multi tenants. Secure calling is
supported fully by FreeSWITCH and to my knowledge it is the only open-source
solution where it works w/o any hacks or tweaks.
Current major brand of phones supporting SRTP and TLS that I've tested are
Linksys and Snom. I'm told on the IRC channel that there are more working.
FreeSWITCH as an SIP B2BUA can be configured to offer SRTP in SDP
negogitation in the B-leg (just use export sip_secure_media param). That
means that if a phone and the other softswitch/gateway supports SRTP you can
have whole path encrypted.
I have tried following scenario: Linkys phone calling 9888 ext which is a
conference server at conference.freeswitch.org, so we have
Linksys SRTP -> FS SRTP -> other FS SRTP (whole media path between a phone
and two FS servers encrypted).

The only question left to answer is does Patton offer SRTP/TLS. FreeSWITCH
won't be an issue here.

Regards,
Ognjen