[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH VPSs

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:48:26 PST 2009

cool,

However.... you say...

"but a platform for sandbox testing of configurations, SOHO VOIP
Switches, development of FS addons, backup switch capability, etc.
Doing this stuff at home behind NAT and a consumer grade router is one
reason Brian, Anthony, Mike, et al. are half crazy. "

First of all, you have no idea on what platform and where we do our
development.
If you only saw how many terminals to random servers spanning the globe we
have open......
You have the NAT part right, if you knew the hours it took from behind NAT
to get all the code right for SIP interop or even had to deal with half the
bullshit it takes to get SIP working, you'd be in the madhouse so don't you
dare try using us as an ad slogan.

Secondly, we are not half crazy, we are completely crazy and most of it
comes from spending all day
on this list tending to your never-ending threads while trying to help the
other people in the community who actually give something back.

If you want to use our list to advertise this service maybe you should find
a way to contribute to the project rather than constantly asking for help in
5 separate emails in one day followed by another thread trying to sell
something.

A reasonable cost would be FREE just like everything else around here.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Nik Martin <freeswitch at servercorps.com>wrote:

> My goal is obviously not to provide carrier grade VOIP switch service,
> but a platform for sandbox testing of configurations, SOHO VOIP
> Switches, development of FS addons, backup switch capability, etc.
> Doing this stuff at home behind NAT and a consumer grade router is one
> reason Brian, Anthony, Mike, et al. are half crazy.  I run my
> company's phone switch in a 32 bit OpenVZ VE with 256 Mb ram, and have
> no issues.  When I goof around trying to transcode between 8 and 16
> bit codecs and whatnot, sure it gets tight, but FS on an idle system
> keeps 23 mb of of ram resident, and rarely if ever hits a 256 mb bean
> counter (limit).
>
> Also, these limits are not hard, I just know what my hardware has, and
> am trying to offer as much value as I can for what I have in the
> systems.  128 Gb of ECC ram and Quad/Quad Core zeons are still pretty
> pricey!
>
> Nik
>

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:
> > Actually you can if you don't overload the machine like most VPS
> > providers do... The advantage with OpenVZ in this case is that you can
> > migrate the running FreeSWITCH instance between hardware nodes and not
> > drop calls at this size.
> >
> > /b
> >
> > On Feb 11, 2009, at 6:24 PM, EdPimentl wrote:
> >
> >> Soho,,, yes of course...
> >> Voip (soho)Service Provider.... not convinced is possible to provide
> >> reliable QoS.
> >> My .02 cents
> >> -E

Anthony Minessale II