[Freeswitch-users] Skype as a path to wideband adoption

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 16:31:57 PST 2009

Good question,

Does anybody have any contacts at Skype to open a discussion with them?
Should we just call them anyway?

They have chosen to interop directly with asterisk which has not completed
it's attempt at wideband support.
Maybe they are more interested in connecting to the PSTN but it's worth a
try to ask them.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Consider the following:
>
>    - FS has recently greatly enhanced its support for wide, wider and
> widest band telephony
>    - That advantage is of no benefit when interworking with the PSTN
>    - Skype has had wideband since day one, and just got
> super-ultra-duper-wideband.
>    - FS is acquiring skype connectivity options (2, which hopefully
> will converge to one best in class option).
>
> One obvious conclusion is Skype offers the best possibility for having
> broad coverage with wideband voice.
> However, codec issues are certain to degrade quality. Lossy compressed
> codecs don't transcode well, and the
> codecs Skype uses are their own. FS is gaining a range of open and
> royalty free licence wideband codecs, but
> not the ones Skype uses. Skype choose widely supported narrowband codecs
> - G.711 and G.729 - but have not used a wideband codec with broad support.
>
> So.... the point of this note is "what can we do to optimise things?"
>
> Steve

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/