[Freeswitch-users] FreeSwitch setup as a "Dumb" SBC

Adam Long ajlong at worldlink.net
Tue Feb 3 10:47:59 PST 2009

Hi Rod,

Great info, Thanks!
Glad to see others are interested in the same concept.
My reasons for SER as routing core and implementation is slightly different
yet similar.

I like your Redirect model, with that you are truly using your Kamailio as
route server only. I would imagine very scalable.
	- Are you able to do any round robin, serial or parallel forking
with this?
	- I wonder if multiple Contacts in the 302 response maybe with some
logic in FreeSwitch dialplan?
If so I think your design is a bit more efficient than mine as it keeps SER
out of the call path.

My design is little different.. it is more of a "Stateful" setup.  With SER
staying in call path and FreeSwitch at Edge.
I do this to enable Serial Forking to a series of SBCs (FreeSwitch) geo
distributed, when one of the branches is congested it
forks to the next SBC (route).

The FreeSwitch guys are probably right tho... with mod_easyroute and mod_lcr
we could probably implement all of this in FreeSwitch without SER.
I would be curious to know if anyone is doing something similar at high
volumes and what sort of concurrency and cps they
are able to achieve.

I am a Perl and C# guy, I thought about implementing a mod_manged_lcr with
memcached support.
Memcache support would prob boost the scalability by a factor of 10 at
least.

I will let you know if I end up developing a high performance FreeSwitch
route module.
Right now I use memcache in a OpenSIPS perl script for my route caching and
its incredibly fast
and clusters well.

It actually might be easier to add memcached support to mod_lcr and
mod_easyroute but im not real strong in C/C++

I'll jump on IRC later and chat with some of the experts on this as I know
memcache has been discussed before.
I'd be curious to know if any progress has been made there already.

Regards,
-Adam