[Freeswitch-users] OPenser <-> FS Do I need this?

Nik Middleton nik.middleton at noblesolutions.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 10:07:32 PST 2009

Well Openser has better NAT handling than Asterisk for a start.  In
addition it takes the load off of Asterisk with regards to
registrations. Further, I'm able to have multiple asterisk servers
fronted by Openser
Finally, I've numerous posts that * chokes with sip clients > 200.  I
couldn't afford to take the risk.

But the biggest issue is with load spikes and asterisk.  I've never
gotten to the bottom of it, and believe me a lot of people far smarter
then me have tried to figure it out.  So... The more I can keep asterisk
out of the mundane stuff the better.

It's been said to me many times, that the way Asterisk is put together
is fundamentally flawed and this really shows it's self under load.  Not
knocking Asterisk, it's served me well for the last 4 years.  Heck I've
got a book being published on it in a couple of months, but for me, I
need a scalable solution, hence my interest in FS.  I also don't see *
going beyond 1.4.  1.6 as far as I can tell has a very low take-up rate,
why ?  well because they've changed how everything works to the extent
that hardly anything written for 1.4 can port to 1.6.  The syntax
changes don't appear to serve any real purpose.

So to get back to my original question, if FS can handle a significantly
higher number of call setups, then perhaps I don't need OpenSer, that
was the thrust of my post.

Regards