[Freeswitch-users] Codecs and things

Rupa Schomaker rupa at rupa.com
Tue Dec 22 16:45:37 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Ahmed Naji <a.alalousi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> Can someone please clear the following ambiguities with codecs:
>
> Are we definitively able to run pass-through codecs (e.g. G.729) in Proxy
> Media mode, or does FS need to be running in bypass-media ? the Wiki is not
> clear in this regard

Yes, you can use proxy media, bypass media, or even regular mode if
you don't transcode (special for g729).  Proxy media is really a
special hack that should only be used for T38 passthrough.  If you are
using it for other purposes, think about it some more....

> When an A-leg has negotiated a pass-through media codec, can the B-leg be
> transcoded into a non-pass-through codec, and vice-versa ? think A-leg
> incoming with a G.729 codec, and target for B-leg needs to be setup with a
> GSM-codec, say

That would require transcoding - which can't be done if the codec is
pass-through.

> Where in the developer's set of documentation are codecs discussed ? I would
> like to start porting some code of mine for G.729a/b/ab form a ti DSP
> platform to FS. FS lacking full G.729 support is proving quite a hindrance,
> and there is no clear direction from the dev community as to when the same
> will be available. Incidentally, any news on this effort ? where are we with
> code, and what's an ETA for a Beta ?

I'd say look at the broadvoice or other simple self-contained codecs
are done.  Currently the only supported g729 solution is to use a
digium board with mod_dahdi_codec.

I don't have any info on a software based g729 solution.

> On the same lines as (3) above, there is a codec dev template in the source
> tree. Again, where can I find documentation relating to this ? the template
> has hardly any docs at all.
>
> Best regards and warm wishes for a Merry Christmas and a great New Year to
> one and all.
>
> Ahmed.
>

> --
> Ahmed A. Ibrahim-Naji Al-Alousi