[Freeswitch-users] sip message logging and analysis

Metik freeswitch-users-list at metik.com
Thu Dec 17 19:42:14 PST 2009

Some providers do retain call data for diagnostic purposes and to to aid
in troubleshooting. Why not politely ask them if they could provide you
with a sip trace themselves or forward along the evidence that supported
their conclusion. They should be willing to help you solve a problem
that may potentially be of benefit to their other customers that report
similar issues.

Otherwise, as others suggest, you could simply capture the signaling and
media traffic from the FS box itself using "tcpdump" (e.g. tcpdump -i
eth0 -s 0 -w debug.pcap host 127.0.0.1 ) or ngrep (-d eth0 -W byline -O
/tmp/debug.pcap host 127.0.0.1) and analyze the resulting file in
Wirehark (Statistics->Voip Calls or Telephony->Voip Calls in the current
version). If your provider is using a session border controller or does
not have a distributed architecture, then you can replace 127.0.0.1 with
the appropriate address. If not, then simply don't use the host filter
at all (it will result in a larger capture file). I would just keep in
mind that if an upstream device (NAT router, firewall, etc.) is wreaking
havoc with session refreshes by dropping re-INVITEs or UPDATEs
(associated with session refreshing), you may not see them because of
your vantage point. The reason I typically recommend using the "-i"
(tcpdump) and "-d" (ngrep) switch is to avoid linux 'cooked' captures
(more of a personal preference since I occasionally do have to convert
or merge captures). If you only have SSH access to your FS box, you may
want to use tcpdump or ngrep along with "screen".

"tshark" (tty/cli vesion of Wireshark) and "sipgrep" are also extremely
useful. The later requires ngrep and a couple perl modules but I believe
it is included with FS in the contrib or scripts directory--I forget which).

-metik