[Freeswitch-users] Basic Question on the Internal Profile

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Dec 16 09:09:31 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Costa Zikalala <costa.zikalala at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I understand that to connect to a SIP Provider you have to (amongst other
> things) define a Gateway on the External Profile.
> But some gateways may be defined on the Internal Profile. What kind of
> gateways would these be and what would be their purpose as most gateways are
> External?
>
> Hope my question makes a bit of sense.

This is a good question. First, remember that the profile names "internal"
and "external" are just labels that try to give you a basic idea of what you
might use them for. The external profile is generally used for outbound
registrations, particularly when the FS server is behind NAT. If your FS
server isn't behind NAT then you may want to use the internal profile for
outbound registrations, although we recommend that your outbound
registrations still be in a profile different than your internal profile
where local phones are registering. In these cases it's fine just to remove
external.xml, make a copy of internal.xml to something like
external-nonat.xml, and then edit it so that it uses ports 5080 and 5081.
For the record here's what I did for a user just last week:

Old:
<profile name="internal"/>
<param name="sip-port" value="$${internal_sip_port}"/>
<param name="tls"
value="$${internal_ssl_enable}"/>

<param name="tls-bind-params"
value="transport=tls"/>

<param name="tls-sip-port"
value="$${internal_tls_port}"/>

<param name="tls-cert-dir"
value="$${internal_ssl_dir}"/>

<param name="tls-version" value="$${sip_tls_version}"/>

New:
<profile name="customer"/>
<param name="sip-port" value="$${external_sip_port}"/>
<param name="tls"
value="$${external_ssl_enable}"/>

<param name="tls-sip-port"
value="$${external_tls_port}"/>

<param name="tls-cert-dir"
value="$${external_ssl_dir}"/>

Feel free to tinker and remember that if you break something you can just
wipe your conf directory and just run "make samples" again and you'll have a
brand new set of default configs.

Enjoy!
-MC