[Freeswitch-users] Context vs. profile?

Fred-145 codecomplete at free.fr
Tue Dec 15 03:22:39 PST 2009

Are you typing up something for posterity's sake? If so let me know. I'll be
happy to proof-read the finished product and offer suggestions.

Thanks much for the clarification. I'm used to writing short documentation
when I learn a new tool, so 1) it helps me understand how it works, 2) I can
perform a new install faster, and 3) it helps newbies get a head-start.

So in short:
- profiles = User Agents ("end points of a phone call", says Wikipedia)
where each profile listens on a given IP/port so that a single Freeswitch
server can handle several profiles concurrently, eg. one end-point for
internal, authenticated users, and another end-point for incoming calls from
a VoIP provider
- contexts = tells what a caller can do; a call can go through multiple
contexts during the length of the call. In a dialplan, contexts = groups of
extensions

Thank you.