[Freeswitch-users] embedded freeswitch compatable hardware

Brian May brian at microcomaustralia.com.au
Wed Dec 9 20:53:32 PST 2009

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
>   The Soekris net5501 and standard case will (I believe) take a full
> height card.  Then again you could use any board and get an external
> SIP gateway (ATA).  We don't currently support OpenZAP with FS in
> AstLinux but I'd love to add support for it eventually.

Ok, I found this:

<http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm>.

It looks like room for a full height card.

4 network adaptors for a Freeswitch box. Hmmm. Suspect I would only find
use for one ;-)

Lack of OpenZAP support might be an issue, I assume that would be
required to connect to an onboard analogue port... I assume I could just
install Debian or another distribution instead though.

Does this require a hard disk drive to boot Linux? I am guessing that
compact flash could be used instead.

Alternatively, if I used an external ATA, what is a good one to use? I
think Jason has already made a suggestion, if so I have forgotten. I
guess I get nervous going down this approach because it will add to the
latency, but then again it won't use so much CPU power either, and the
Digium cards send a lot of time-critical interrupts.

>   I'm currently working with the FS devs on getting some issues in
> trunk resolved to get cross compiling working again.  Until then you
> can find ISOs with FreeSWITCH and AstLInux here if you'd like to check
> it out:

I am curious, how do you install ISOs onto a box like the net5501? I
don't see any provision for CD-ROM drives.

--
Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>