[Freeswitch-users] Database suggestions/pointers/?

Tim Uckun timuckun at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:59:31 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Steve Klein <sklein at singular.com> wrote:
> Greetings. We need to add database access to an IVR application we are
> prototyping. Based on FS “best practice” suggestions, we are using Lua for
> the scripts. Since FS uses SQLite internally, we presumed that Lua + SQLite
> would be a recommended approach. However, we can’t find any examples of this
> combo anywhere. So, what is the “best practice” scripting + database
> recommendation for a high-volume database-driven FS app?

I would suggest you take a look at freeswitcher
(http://github.com/bougyman/freeswitcher).

The good thing is that it's ruby and therefore you can use any
database compatible with ruby (that's all of them pretty much). You
can also use an ORM of your choice or if you don't want to use an ORM
you can use the amazingly fantastic sequel library.

Being ruby it will run outside of the freeswitch memory space and you
will have to use the inbound/outbound socket API. That may be a good
thing if you want to separate your database and IVR logic from the
machine running your freeswitch.

Ruby is pretty easy to pick up if you don't know it and there are a
wealth of libraries if you want to do other things like connect to web
sites, manipulate XML, etc.

There is also a liverpie http://github.com/jsgoecke/liverpie which is
more of a proxy thing you can interface with any language.

I am sure lua is nice but it seems like people are having some
problems with ODBC, memory leaks etc when it comes to databases. If
you go a ruby library that all goes away.