[Freeswitch-users] Choppy sound with PCMU

eaf erandr-junk at usa.net
Thu Dec 3 13:44:15 PST 2009

Oh, you mean giving FS higher priority? Yeah, as a last resort I'll do that.
At the moment, I hope it won't be necessary as I can make those "hyper"
threads behave, and will see how that goes first. I see where your
implementation could be coming from. There is a queue of SQL queries in
sofia.c processed by the worker thread. There are only two pop functions
available in APR: queue_pop() and queue_trypop(), so alas no option with a
timeout here. You don't want to block the thread in pop() indefinitely
because you chose that same worker needs to do ireg and gw processing once
in a while (separated by tens or hundreds of seconds, btw). You also want to
be able to detect shutdown condition so that the worker doesn't hold up
profile thread. So you chose to poll for events every millisecond instead of
just creating an apr_thread_cond_t for resource friendly signalling.

I agree that the timer thread philosophy is great and was the right choice
for scaling, but I just don't comprehend responses to things like these
other SQL or sofia worker threads. Did somebody even remotely acknowledge
that busy loops at least in those areas that I showed may probably be a bad
idea and could've been eliminated? I've heard suggestions to bump up
priority, I've heard that the code was perfect already, that it's the result
of 4-year effort, that I am arrogant, don't listen and don't understand
squat.

I'm sorry if I gave you impression that I was looking for the bad parts in
the software. I apologized for that already. All I wanted was to have
constructive conversation, perhaps I'm not too good at it. Code is already
perfect according to you? Fine with me.