[Freeswitch-users] Choppy sound with PCMU

eaf erandr-junk at usa.net
Thu Dec 3 06:17:54 PST 2009

Oh, it's not just one timer thread... Why, why is sql_thread keeps on
checking for messages every millisecond? Couldn't there be some signalling
implemented that will make the thread suspend on condition variable or a
socket/pipe in between?

#0  do_sleep (t=1000) at src/switch_time.c:109
#1  0xb7e5e215 in switch_core_sql_thread (thread=0xb7586ae8, obj=0x0) at
src/switch_core_sqldb.c:783

Why does this sofia_profile_worker_thread keeps on looping checking for the
queue? Have a semaphore!

#0  do_sleep (t=1000) at src/switch_time.c:109
#1  0xb73a4701 in sofia_profile_worker_thread_run (thread=0x80f3a30,
obj=0x80f2490) at sofia.c:978

Nothing's happening on the box, but there are three threads that pretend to
be actively busy with smth. Others at least sleep for hundreds of
milliseconds, not for one.

And there is even infrastructure present to do blocking pops: i.e. why
couldn't sqldb thread do queue_pop() instead of queue_trypop() intermixed
with 1ms sleeps? This looping is such a waste...

eaf wrote:

> [...]
> that polling could be so useful for scalability ;) My naive implementation
> would've pulled timestamp via system calls and would've done sleeping by
> passing exact interval to select() instead of syncing with a pacing
> thread. Which would be dead-quiet at idle time, but, of course, would stop
> scaling at some point due to excessive number of system calls.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Michael Jerris wrote:
>>
>> In short.  No, you can not for many reasons. The milisecond tic is
>> used throughout the code even when there is not any calls up.  You can
>> grep for switch_cond_next if you would like to see where but it is
>> required to keep our global timestamp and for pacing the scheduler
>> among other services that run all the time.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2009, at 7:31 PM, eaf <erandr-junk at usa.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Can I reduce resolution of that timer thread 10 times? I mean, I
>>> glanced
>>> through the code, and see that among others (are there others?) RTP
>>> and IVR
>>> set up their timers that are subsequently managed by this thread.
>>> RTP timers
>>> should be eliminated by that setting you've suggested. IVR timers
>>> are set at
>>> 20ms... So, if the thread is set to wake up every 10ms instead of
>>> 1ms it
>>> should be able to wake up those IVR timers just fine. Right?
>>>
>>> That's a cool design to have one dedicated thread that maintains
>>> accurate
>>> timing and then broadcasts via condition variables to hundreds of
>>> other
>>> threads events that they can register for. I'm sure it's one of the
>>> reasons
>>> why FS scales so much better than Asterisk. But for poor low-end
>>> setups that
>>> sit in the closet, eat only 6W of power and hardly ever run more
>>> than two
>>> calls at the same time, can I hack it somehow to be more UNIX-
>>> friendly? I.e.
>>> make it stuck in select() or recv() when there is nothing to do, call
>>> clock_gettime() right from the thread that wants and when it wants
>>> to know
>>> current time?
>>>
>>> Say, what if that thread is made to suspend on a condition variable
>>> in case
>>> if there are no timers registered in TIMER_MATRIX? Then, if some other
>>> thread comes up and adds its timer into the matrix, it could wake up
>>> the
>>> timer thread and enjoy accurate timing as needed, on demand? And in-
>>> between
>>> the calls, when there is no RTP or IVR, it will all go silent? I mean,
>>> sitting on a wait queue in the kernel is way better than go back and
>>> forth
>>> incrementing counters that nobody even needs at the moment?

>>> users