[Freeswitch-users] IAX? Issues connecting road warriors with SIP?

Fred-145 codecomplete at free.fr
Thu Dec 3 04:17:22 PST 2009

Hello

In a thread back in March, I read that support for IAX in FreeSwitch is a
bit of kludge and since there's not much demand for it, chances are it won't
improve in the foreseeable future.

So I'd like some feedback from users who routinely connect to a FreeSwitch
server from various venues, ie. wifi hotspots at McD, Ethernet LAN in
hotels, etc. (in my case, the FreeSwitch server is located in a private
network behind a NAT router with SIP/RTP ports statically mapped.)

Do you sometimes/often get issues where SIP (UDP5060) or RTP (UDPwhatever)
ports fail being opened dynamically to work properly, or does SIP today
really work well over NAT firewalls?

Thank you.