[Freeswitch-users] Choppy sound with PCMU

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 14:29:26 PST 2009

linksys has had a bug for eons that can be fixed by setting the ptime (or
rtp packet size in their terms)
in it's firmware to .20 instead of .30

Asterisk does not use async RTP like we do so it's never a problem
you can disable the timer by setting the channel var rtp_timer_name=none or
sofia param rtp-timer-name to none in the sofia profile.

You should also test this on latest SVN trunk or wait for pre8

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM, eaf <erandr-junk at usa.net> wrote:

> I should also add, after browsing through some topics here, that my SIP
> provider sends 172-byte RTP frames, which is in accordance with ptime:20
> that it gives to FreeSWITCH.
>

> eaf wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to migrate from Asterisk to FreeSWITCH (really like the way
> how
> > it can be programmed), but ran into one issue with sound quality that I
> > just cannot workaround by myself. I would describe the sound problem as
> > being "choppy". From time to time small portions of the other party's
> > voice are dropped, so the voice kind of stutters. This is not too bad,
> but
> > is really noticeable, happens in every call and I don't experience the
> > same with Asterisk running on the same box. I attached two files:
> > freeswitch.wav and asterisk.mp3 to illustrate my point.
> >
> > Issue completely goes away, if I set inbound-proxy-media to true.
> >
> > The way how I test is to connect SPA-2000 via 10mbps LAN to the box
> > directly exposed to internet, and then dial a toll-free via FutureNine (a
> > SIP provider).
> >
> > The codec in use is PCMU. Can't really try PCMA or anything else with
> this
> > provider. Only PCMU. Tried to match ptime of provider (30) with ptime of
> > the SPA, didn't get any improvement. Tried turning off recording, no
> > change either.
> >
> > What puzzles me is that even with greedy codec negotiations and with PCMU
> > on both sides of  FreeSWITCH, it's still saying that
> > TRANSCODING_NECESSARY. I'm attaching relevant portion of freeswitch.log
> > illustrate.
> >
> > The box isn't particularly fast: Linux (Debian 4), CPU - AMD Geode LX800
> > with 997 bogomips. 256MB RAM. Only one call in progress, so I hope that
> > it's not a performance issue.
> >
> >  http://old.nabble.com/file/p26594250/freeswitch.wav freeswitch.wav
> >
> >  http://old.nabble.com/file/p26594250/asterisk.mp3 asterisk.mp3
> >
> >  http://old.nabble.com/file/p26594250/freeswitch.log freeswitch.log
> >
> > Tried both 1.0.4 and 1.0.5pre5. Same results.
> >
> > What should I do next? Calls are consistently bad with FreeSWITCH, and
> > consistently show no glitches with Asterisk.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm