[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH HA + Loadbalancing

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at giagnocavo.net
Sat Aug 29 12:39:52 PDT 2009

Also please remember this means every _application_ also must be "failover" aware. So, if you're using a little calling card or billing app to control your routing, that app will have to explicitly enroll its state as well as restore itself.

Live migration is possible via OpenVZ. OVZ does not have the same overhead of other virtualization techniques such as Hyper-V, ESX, Xen, etc. So you can do media without much worry.  OVZ can work with other virtualization, too; you can spin it up inside of a VMware machine.

But this is *live* migration of the container. It's "just" pausing your container, copying the whole memory, and resuming it on another node. This is not "dead" migration or failover after calls break. However, you could try running a very frequent sync in OVZ, so that if there was a node failure, you could resume from a previously saved state. But, I highly doubt performance would be good enough for this to work successfully on any serious deployment.

-Michael