[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH under the Linux 2.6.29 kernel

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Apr 29 22:43:16 PDT 2009

Paweł Pierścionek <pawel at voiceworks.pl>
writes:

G'day Paweł.

> boot Your kernel with "divider=10 nohz=off" options :)
>
> Recent kernels are tickless which basically causes all freeswitch
> timers/sleeps to fire at requested microsecond intervals.  With nohz
> kernels You get hundred times more system calls with freeswitch :(

Like Jason, I am also interested to know why the tickless kernel causes
the timers to generate so much more load.  I can't find anything
documented anywhere, really, about the issue — and this thread is the
only thing Google turns up on the topic.

I am looking to move my SIP system to FreeSwitch some time soon, if
I can, but I would love to know why nohz is so hostile to FreeSwitch
before I do, if possible.

Regards,
        Daniel