[Freeswitch-users] Is RFC 4733 supported ?

Arsen Chaloyan achaloyan at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 11:50:29 PDT 2009

> I should clarify that we support the dtmf tones plus flash but no other tones at this time.

Seems you have not to support other tones, because they are declared as deprecated in RFC4733 (See also a companion RFC4734). Flash is deprecated either, however supporting flash ensures backward compatibility. Anyway it's used only by a few gateways.

RFC 2833 caused me a lot of headaches in the past, there were 13 drafts over 2833, if I'm not mistaken, before they finally published 4733.
It indeed contains some clarifications, while it's mostly backward compatible with 2833.
The most ridiculous part in out of band implementation is robustness against network conditions and interference of in-band and out-of-band tones (SIP -> PSTN) , surely not counting robustness against broken implementations (from Asterisk 1.2 times).

Anyway, section "2.5.2.2.  Playout of Tone Events in RFC4733" deserves careful reading.

Regards,
Arsen.