[Freeswitch-users] Skypiax as a windows service

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Fri Apr 17 14:58:54 PDT 2009

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM, UV <uv at yuvalhertzog.com> wrote:
>> Give a shout if you get Skypiax working as a service.
>> I'll be happy to contribute to its wiki about it once you get it working.

<shout>got Skypiax working as a service</shout>

I will document this better in the future, but following is the
general idea, from a Vista Home machine:

I assume you have FS configured and working with mod_skypiax (if run
from the command line). I mean, first you have to make sure all is
working as a "normal non-service application", as documented in the
wiki here http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Skypiax#Skypiax_on_Windows
and in the video here
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Skypiax#Windows_Video_How_To

To start the Skype client instances as services, you need to use
instsrv and srvany from "Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools":
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

Procedure for creating a service is detailed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890 (or more shortly here:
http://www.sixxs.net/wiki/Configuring_Windows_Vista#.2816.29__Installing_AICCU_Utility_as_a_Service
)

You create an (empty) service with those tools, then you follow the
procedure steps and as "Parameters" ->"Application" you put the string
"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe /secondary /username:skypiax1
/password:xxx"

*use your username and password in the string*

Then, from the "services" applet in Control Center ->administrative
tools, you make sure the service is owned by "local system" and that
"Access desktop" is ticked.

Start the service manually from the "services" applet.
Maybe it will appear a "the service wants to access the desktop". Go
to "show message" to see what Skype wants, and give some
configurations if needed.

Then you install FS as service (freeswitch.exe -install servicename),
start FS as a service (under "local system"), manually (again, from
the "services" applet).
It will appear "the service wants to access the desktop". Go there and
give Skype authorization to be connected by FS, forever.

Stop both services.

Restart both services, manually. First the Skype clients,  then after
a while, FS.

>From another machine, make a Skype call to FS.

If all works as expected, stop both services, make sure (via
"services" applet) the FS service will retry three times to start,
with a minute pause (just to allow for the Skype clients to start and
settle their connection with the network, to be on the safe side).

Make the services to start "automatic".

Reboot the machine, don't log in, make another test call to FS via
Skype, and... shout :-)

PS: instead of having the service to start one only instance of skype,
you can probably make the service to start a .CMD file that will start
many instances, a la startskype.bat

I'll look into this soon.

Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli