[Freeswitch-users] Skypiax as a windows service

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Thu Apr 16 23:40:24 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Anthony Minessale
<anthony.minessale at gmail.com> wrote:
> are you planning on just signaling on TCP or both audio and signalling
> cos realtime audio over TCP kinda stinks.
>
> you may find that just running FS as the farm and calling to it with sip is
> more or less the same idea with no work ;)

Hi Anthony,
yes, TCP is not the best for audio. But it's the only way to route
audio from/to the Skype client instance. I mean, it's the only way the
Skype client allows you to access its audio streams.

This is the current situation:
1) mod_skypiax use native signaling (Windows messages, or X events) to
interact with the Skype client through the Skype API.
2) one of the Skype API commands allows for telling to the Skype
client: "please, use this TCP port for audio in, and that TCP port for
audio out, instead of the soundcard".
3) the TCP ports must be on the local IP interface (127.0.0.1)
4) mod_skypiax and the Skype client(s) exchange audio samples through
TCP on the local machine, while signaling is platform native

I would like to have the Skype client instances on another machine,
for security and stability purposes (I'm not trusting consumer grade
Skype client to run on production main FS server).

That's why I was writing the "farming client", for rerouting both the
signaling commands and the audio streams back and forth between two
separate machines.

Now I understand what you wrote: I can use FS itself (with
mod_skypiax) as a "farming client", and connect with the "main" FS via
SIP. So I can achieve the original aim of having a separate machine(s)
with the Skype instances. Obviously, if that's a requirements, I can
optimize the footprint of the "farming client FS" loading only the
modules needed for SIP-Skype interaction.

Thanks a lot Anthony, this cuts the Gordian knot and spare me lots of
pathetic efforts :-)

UV, is this solution practical for you?

Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli