[Freeswitch-users] rtp/one way audio problem

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at ieee.org
Wed Apr 8 11:08:53 PDT 2009

We're seeing occasional one way audio issues for international calls
going out to one of several carriers. On roughly 2 out of 5 calls
outbound, there is no audio on the the calling party's side, however the
called party indicates they can hear the calling party perfectly well.
NAT is not involved anywhere on our side. Sniffing the traffic shows the
rtp stream tries to start, coming in from the carrier, but then stops,
which is probably why there's no audio on the calling party's side.
There is however, rtp going out from us to the carrier, which is
probably why the called party hears the calling party OK.

I enabled proxy_media=true and that seems to have fixed the problem (or
the problem coincidentally stopped), so now I'm beginning to wonder if
we're hitting any of the goofy Sonus bugs described here ...

	http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/RTP_Issues

I know my carrier uses a Cisco, but I also know their routes are
transit, not direct routes, so I have no idea what other softswitches
the rtp is going through before it finally hits the PSTN in whatever
country is being called.

Is there anyway to know if there's a Sonus in the media stream
somewhere? Do the Cisco's do anything goofy that I need to be aware of
as well?

I can turn off proxy_media and run a pcapsipdump if that will help?

As a side note, we have absolutely no problem terminating domestic calls
via any of our domestic carriers/CLECs. This problem seems to be only
plagued with International calling.

Thanks,

Gabe