[Freeswitch-users] uPnP/NAT-PMP

damjan at ecntelecoms.com damjan at ecntelecoms.com
Tue Sep 16 22:45:11 PDT 2008

Both uPnP and NAT-PMP are rather useless: they cannot handle multiple
layers of NAT (eg. NAT at home, plus NAT at ISP). ICE/STUN can.

I've heard somewhere that Asterisk 1.6 does have a MIDCOM or some similar
NAT traversal protocol. But relatively few NAT devices support these
protocols.

Why bother? NAT hole punching techniques used by ICE/STUN works through
almost all NATs, and the rest can be solved using TURN.

Bye
Damjan