[Freeswitch-users] dptools "read" command doesn't appear to work properly

Luke Graybill killarny at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 14:27:36 PDT 2008

I am having a hard time getting this command to work properly. Here is the c
output from my test session, where I dial in to ext 500 with my sip client
(Ekiga):

----
listening on localhost:8084
IPv4Address(TCP, '127.0.0.1', 36685): Connected
>> 'connect'
Caller: Killarny -
>> 'myevents'
result was: Events Enabled
>> 'sendmsg\ncall-command: execute\nexecute-app-name: answer'
OK
>> 'sendmsg\ncall-command: execute\nexecute-app-name: read\nexecute-app-arg:
0 4 conference/8000/conf-pin.wav digits 10000 #'
OK
DTMF: 1
DTMF: 2
DTMF: 3
DTMF: 4
DTMF: 5
DTMF: 6
DTMF: 7
DTMF: 8
DTMF: 9
DTMF: 0
DTMF: *
DTMF: #
IPv4Address(TCP, '127.0.0.1', 36685): Connection was closed cleanly.
----

I couldn't figure out how to get read to function without passing a wav file
(I plan to use TTS for the voice prompts, and I don't need a wav file to
play here) so I just plugged in a random wav that comes with freeswitch for
testing.

As you can see, freeswitch reports that the command executed properly,
illustrated by the OK (which was a reply-text: +OK) but the read application
doesn't seem to be functioning beyond playing the given wav file (and
truncating the first half of it as well). Pressing digits in the sip client
results in DTMF events being sent to the socket. Note that the DTMF events
stop at # because I manually shut down the connection, not because of
anything that freeswitch does.

Am I doing something wrong here? I feel like I'm following the available
documentation given at
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Misc._Dialplan_Tools_read but I am having no
luck. Is the read application basically a dead command, and should I be
instead just using DTMF event output?

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated, thanks.

Killarny