[Freeswitch-users] symbian s60 SIP over TLS

R. Eric Bennett reb-freeswitch at futurexp.com
Fri Sep 12 11:17:01 PDT 2008

Note that I was mostly just hoping to find someone who'd already had
experience trying to do SIP over TLS with an s60 device, not asking
you folks to do add developing that knowledge in order to have you do
my debugging for me.

That said, I did leave out a few things in the interest of note being
too long-winded...

First, I should point out that I'm doing this on vanilla Mac OS X
10.5.4, i.e. no fink or macports installed packages.  Second, I'm
using a "latest" tarball from an unknown date in late August (see
prior post on AIM SIP for explanation of why).  I'm 4k miles away from
the machine with no remote access so I don't know the exact date of
the tarball.  Third, my configs work fine without TLS.

So what I did was perform a gentls_cert and then:

1) configured FreeSWITCH for TLS, forced e71 to register.  Didn't
work, "illegal parameter" error returned to server by client.
2) configured FS with "sslv23", forced e71 to register.  Didn't work,
"illegal parameter" error.
3) ran "openssh s_server -accept ... -CApath ... -CAfile ... -www -
tls1" using the CA and server cert created by gentls_cert, pointed e71
browser at s_server port.  Didn't work, "illegal parameter" error.
4) ran "openssh s_server -accept ... -CApath ... -CAfile ... -www -
ssl3", pointed e71 browser at s_server port.  Didn't work, "illegal
parameter" error.
5) gave up for the time being hoping i could find wisdom on freeswitch-
users.

If you are interested in having an s60 device with which to test,
contact me directly via email.

<param name="podium" value="
Frankly, as the disappointed purchaser of a UTStarcom WiSIP-something-
or-other years ago and one who waited anxiously for someone to sell
the hipi-2200 from Paragon Wireless (never could find one), it seems
to me that the s60 phones with SIP represent the holy grail for which
SIP-minded VoIP people have been searching, ironic since it's been
hiding in plain sight as they say...  Notably s60 SIP devices have
real PIM and syncing functionality, a browser (for those of us that
would want to do SIP because we're frequently at a remote site that
requires web-page-based authentication), 802.1X support, all in cell
phone... one of which you're likely to have/need anyway.
"/>

thanks,
eric