[Freeswitch-users] FS Documentation Idea (was RE: FS and DIDs)

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Wed Sep 10 22:29:13 PDT 2008

You don't setup gateways to receive calls.  You can just have your
provider send as many did's at you as they feel free to send.  Just
don't auth-calls on that profile that all the did's hit.  A gateway has
nothing to do with DID's it just registers to the far side and is used
when they challenge us.

/b

Brian,

Thank you!! Your words that I've put in bold are highly critical to
understanding what a gateway is used for, and conversely, what it is not
used for. On a hunch I searched the wiki for the word "gateway" and I
didn't find a single page that presents this information. I would like
to propose that we create a page like "What is a gateway and why do I
need one" that could be a smaller part of the bigger SIP/VoIP
documentation picture. We could then link to that page from the GSG as
well as link back to the GSG and other relevant topics from the GW page.
Or perhaps someone has another idea we could discuss.

Thoughts from the community?

Thanks,

MC