[Freeswitch-users] Migration to FS

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Oct 22 15:01:34 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Thomas Troesch <ttroesch at dslextreme.com>wrote:

> Is there a document or recommended strategy on how to migrate from an
> existing PBX system to FS?  There are 2 T1-PRI lines used 24/7 (call
> center) which can't be down for development or testing.  The existing
> system is InterTel.

Right now the OpenZAP stuff is still in development. I can't recommend
putting it in a 24/7 can't-be-down-for-a-second kind of environment, at
least not yet. We're getting there... Also, be sure to note which PRI
protocol variant (aka "dialect") you are currently using. OZ supports DMS
and 5ESS pretty well but NI2 is still a little iffy. Again, we're working on
it but there are only so many hours in the day...

As for documentation, I'm almost positive that there aren't any docs extant
that describe this process. I do know that Yossi N. has migrated from
Asterisk to FreeSWITCH and has some experience. His presentation at ClueCon
this year is available here:
http://files.freeswitch.org/cluecon_2008/Day_03.Presentation_11.Yossi_Neiman.1500kbps.mp4

However, I don't think we're at the point of how to rip out a legacy PBX and
drop in FS. Not yet, but give us some time... :)

> I have a Sangoma A104D available with a tap ready to be installed.  I'm
> thinking (hoping?)  that I can start by using it to monitor and/or record
> calls without interfering with the InterTel.

I am interested in knowing if you can pull this off. I'd love to see this in
action. I've got an A104D and I would be very interested in seeing someone
get the HI-Z setup nailed down so that you can tap T1 lines. I'm
particularly interested in sniffing d-chan traffic but I would also be
interested in seeing someone use FS to create a call-recording system. (I
know that Tri-Sys in NJ uses YATE + Sangoma for this, so I'm 100% sure that
it is possible.)

If you feel like being a trailblazer then by all means go for it! Hop on IRC
(#freeswitch and #openzap on irc.freenode.net) and pepper us all with
questions. The only rules are "be cool" and "document it on the wiki if you
learn something that wasn't already there."

-MC