[Freeswitch-users] HTTP methods

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue Oct 14 23:39:17 PDT 2008

It's all in mod_xml_rpc.

I've been trying to get it all doc'd but I'm way behind... :-)  Of
course, I'm the guilty party for putting "webapi" in the mod_perl page
on the wiki. Sadly, "webapi" shows up only on this page which means I'm
slacking. This page needs some love:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_xml_rpc

If you can wikify some of this knowledge that would be great. Here are
some quick tips regarding the built-in Abyss web server:

HTTP only, no HTTPS; use port 8080

Accessed via URL like so: http://192.168.1.1:8080/

Need username/password (typical HTTP authentication I believe)

  Username/password can be modified in
conf/autoload_configs/xml_rpc.conf.xml

The "webroot" on a typical *nix install is /usr/local/freeswitch/htdocs

  http://192.168.1.1:8080/ will give a directory listing of
/usr/local/freeswitch/htdocs

  Other HTML/JavaScript/etc. files in htdocs will get served up as
requested

There are various API access methods: api, webapi, txtapi

  Each does something a little different depending upon the scenario

When using an API command that has more than one word, use a question
mark to separate the first and second words, then a space for the rest

  (See examples below)

Try these different combos on your own install; be sure to enable
mod_xml_rpc in modules.conf.xml!

Replace the sample IP address (192.168.1.1) with your actual FS IP
address.

http://192.168.1.1:8080/api/version

http://192.168.1.1:8080/webapi/version

http://192.168.1.1:8080/txtapi/version

http://192.168.1.1:8080/api/show?channels

http://192.168.1.1:8080/webapi/show?channels

http://192.168.1.1:8080/txtapi/show?channels

http://192.168.1.1:8080/api/sofia?status%20profile%20internal

http://192.168.1.1:8080/webapi/sofia?status%20profile%20internal

http://192.168.1.1:8080/txtapi/sofia?status%20profile%20internal

For kicks, try these:

http://192.168.1.1:8080/api/help

http://192.168.1.1:8080/webapi/help

http://192.168.1.1:8080/txtapi/help

Depending upon the API command being used, the api/webapi/txtapi choice
will differ. I recommend playing with it to figure out which one works
best for you. Sometimes you'll like the way that webapi wraps your
output in nice tables w/ alternating background colors. Sometimes the
output of the API command doesn't support that fancy wrapping. As you
tinker you'll see which method works best for the commands you want to
use.

You can access just about anything you could otherwise type at the FS
CLI:

http://192.168.1.1:8080/webapi/<insert-your-commands-here>

If you like it, doc it! :-)

-MC