[Freeswitch-users] Why does a SIP forked dial select just the first 183?

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 07:44:08 PST 2008

We are not a proxy we are a b2bua so we are not going to send bob or carols
sdp to alice
alice and FS have a private sdp between them.

We are not doing SIP forked dialing here, we are doing FS forked dialing
that is designed to be
protocol agnostic.  Keep that in mind because it's important to not lose
track that we are not a
sip switch rather a protocol agnostic soft switch.

When either bob or carol send a 18X to mod_sofia their respective FS channel
will translate it into FS specific code of either RING_READY(progress w/o
media) or EARLY_MEDIA(progress w/ media) if it gets RING_READY it will in
turn mark alice's channel RING_READY which will translate back into 180 to
her phone.  If it gets an EARLY_MEDIA it will translate back into a 183 and
establish early media between FS and alice.  If ignore_early_media is true
the calls will continue to proceed and if alice has the variable "ringback"
set to a tone description or media file that file/tone will begin to play
until bob or carol answer.  If it's not set then whichever one establishes
183 first will end the forked dial and alice will be bridged to that
unanswerd call and hear the early media.

Again for good measure, we do not do SIP specific forked dialing/proxy
fantasy that alice and bob and the white rabbit are having with the
cattipilar and his hooka.  I am glad you are here to provide a check and
balance be be sure to respect my decisions no how the software works and you
will be a welcome addition to our community.  I will just warn you that too
much SIP zealotry will piss me off no matter how nicely put.  I am not
worried about this because you have already admitted that the RFC was
written by martians. =D

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net> wrote:

> 2008/11/20 Anthony Minessale <anthony.minessale at gmail.com>:
> > if you want to wait for the first one to answer instead of indicate
> progress
> > you add
> > {ignore_early_media=true} to the beginning of the dial string
> > <action application="bridge"
> > data="{ignore_early_media=true}sofa/profile/200 at dom.com,sofia/profile/
> 201 at dom.com"/>
>
> Great, but does it mean that the early media will not arrive to the caller?
> This is:
>
> - alice calls to extension 5000.
> - FS does a parallel call to bob and carol with ignore_early_media=true.
> - bob replies 183 with SDP while carol just a 100 Trying for now.
> - I expect that FS would choose the SDP from bob and send it back to alice.
>
> Will it be the behaviour with ignore_early_media=true ?
> Or will FS drop the 183 and send "nothing" to the caller?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> --
> Iñaki Baz Castillo
> <ibc at aliax.net>