[Freeswitch-users] E-mail as user id and bridging

Jan Kubr jan.kubr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 02:07:15 PST 2008

> I'll stick to what I'm doing now which is that I replace the at-sign
> with a dot and take that as a username.
> Sorry for the newbie question and thanks all for the answers.

> Its better to use a dash... a dot is valid in the username part of an
> email address... so what dot do you split on?
>
> Example
>
> brian.west at domain.com
> brian at west.domain.com
>
> So which do you split on :)  Not very clear is it?

It is not, but I don't need to do that. I don't need to guess the
user's e-mail from their SIP name; I put their ID in the directory
entry as a call variable:

 <variable name="user_id" value="4"/>

This ID is from the users database where I can access all the info
about the user, including her e-mail address.

My motivation was making it as simply as possible for the end users to
connect to Freeswitch with their SIP phones. Since they already use
their e-mails to log in to other systems, it would be consistent to
use it as their SIP name, too. You showed me it is not possible, so
I'll just tell them the username is their e-mail with @ replaced with
a dot. For now that is good enough.

(BTW dashes are allowed in the username part of e-mails as well, see
atext definition in RFC822)

Jan

PS: How do I not start a new thread on each reply? I'm getting only
the digest e-mail and need to start a new message when I want to
reply.