[Freeswitch-users] Best way to start with Freeswitch

kokoska rokoska kokoska.rokoska at post.cz
Sun Mar 30 02:15:30 PDT 2008

Brian West napsal(a):

> On Mar 29, 2008, at 7:57 AM, kokoska rokoska wrote:
>>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm very new to Freeswitch and thus I'm looking for advices/hints for
>> painless start :-)
>
> Nothing is painless.
>

>> I have a lot of experience with Asterisk and OpenSER, but the philosophy
>> od Freeswitch differs...
>>

> Thats an understatement.  ;)
>

>> What is going on:
>> I like to deploy PBX/Switch for a lot of SIP users wich registers with
>> it and - also - with larg number of SIP gateways the PBX/Switch should
>> regester with. Users population/gateways/call routing have to be dynamic
>> (database-driven, like I'm accustomed form Asterisk and OpenSER) with
>> quite standard features (conditional/unconditional forwarding,
>> voice-mail, call-waiting, resource limits etc.) and especially with good
>> over-all performance.
>>
>> Like i red in docs, dynamic SIP users could by done with mod_xml_curl
>> directory but I like to ask: Is it "fast enough"?
>
> Direct DB in my opinion is a very bad idea.  With xml_curl you can
> interface to just about anything and cluster it up and fail over rather
> easily with http gets.  And no it's NOT slow, that depends on how fast
> your web server and db are... trust me it can scream if you do it correctly.

This question is a little bit off-topic, but I try it :-)

I have very limited experiences with webservers, so can you recommend me
fast enough webserver and underlying tehnology?

For idea proof-of-concept I can use Apache + mod_php, but for production
use I'm affraid it will be nearly useless because of PHP is interpreted
and thus very slow.
So what is - by your mean - good technology to start with? Java +
Tomcat? Or is there a way how to utilize my "basic" knowlege of "C"
without writting my own webserver? :-)

Have a nice day, best regards,

kokoska.rokoska