[Freeswitch-users] New to FreeSwitch

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Fri Mar 28 12:01:15 PDT 2008

Ritesh,

Welcome to the FS community!  Brian already mentioned a few things, like
the wiki and the IRC channel, so definitely get familiar with those.

One thing I'd like to recommend is that you check out the dialplan xml
files.  (I hope you're comfortable with XML!)  In the freeswitch conf
directory look under dialplan for "default.xml" - this has the pre-built
dialplan.  (You did do "make samples" after the initial install, didn't
you? :-))  Freeswtich uses regular expressions for matching various
values in the dialplan. (I hope you like regular expressions! :-))
Here's an example right from the sample dialplan:

<extension name="echo">

  <condition field="destination_number" expression="^9996$">

    <action application="answer"/>

    <action application="send_display" data="Echo Test"/>

    <action application="echo"/>

  </condition>

</extension>

This is the sample echo test extension.  XML helps make some of the
features obvious, like the extension name.  The most interesting thing
here is the "condition" tag.  That line essential says, "If the
destination number is exactly 9996 then execute these actions."  The
actions are "answer" - that answer the call, then display "Echo Test" on
the display, and lastly launch the echo application.  If you want to
hear the echo test then try this:

pa call 9996

If you get the echo test then you know the basic setup of the dial plan
and port audio is working.  Please try it out and report back to the
list or to IRC.  (BTW, do you have an IRC screen name?)  We'll go from
there!

-MC (IRC: mercutioviz)