[Freeswitch-users] Conceptual Question about Freeswitch and SIP

Ken Rice krice at suspicious.org
Sun Mar 16 20:21:15 PDT 2008

FreeSwitch has 3 modes of operation when it comes to sip calls. Please Note
FreeSwitch is a B2BUA and not a proxy although it has proxy like modes.

Mode 1) Full Media Interaction this is what you are seeing. You can
completely interact with the media stream allowing for sniffing the media,
transcoding, or injecting the media for various purposes.

Mode 2) Media Proxy only mode. In this mode FreeSwitch just acts as a dumb
RTP proxy for things like Topology Hiding and NAT busting. SIP SDPs are
copied across with updates to where to send the media and a socket is set up
for relaying the media. The RTP/UDPTL is just copied across the socket.

Mode 3) No Media Mode. In this mode the SDPs are copied across and media is
setup end to end... No media comes into freeswitch...

All 3 Modes are more efficient and mode scalable then some other well known
software. This is not necessarily due to the SIP stack in use, but more from
a design perspective of taken from what Anthm and crew learned over the
years as not to do.