[Freeswitch-users] IAX Trunking

Daniel Swarbrick freeswitch at pressure.net.nz
Wed Jun 18 03:17:42 PDT 2008

You would probably save more bandwidth by switching to a lower bandwidth
codec. IAX trunking only reduces bandwidth wasted by IP headers of
individual RTP streams, by combining multiple small RTP packets (from
different RTP streams) into larger packets. It does not do anything
magical to the RTP data itself.

This is only useful if all those RTP streams are going to the same
destination of course.

With SIP, you could try increasing the packetization delay from the
usual 20 or 30ms up to something like 120ms. This means more RTP data
gets packed into a single packet, and hence fewer of them are required
in any given RTP stream. It does have side effects however - if your
link is not reliable enough, and you lose the occasional packet, that's
120 ms of audio you just lost - probably quite noticeable. Depending on
the jitter buffer being used, it may also want at least a few packets in
the buffer before it starts playing audio. If 3 x 120ms packets is what
it wants, there will be a 360ms delay at the start of the call before
the first audio is heard.