[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH vs Yate

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Tue Jul 22 18:39:14 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've been using asterisk for a while now and just love running into assorted
deadlocks, crashes, quirks and SIP misimplementations (ie, new Call-ID when
forking/branching calls).  I'm currently looking very closely at Freeswitch
and another project that has been around longer, Yate.

Yate seems to have a good architecture, and looks like it may be a good
alternative to Freeswitch (if there was ever a need for it).

Looking from the outside, it makes me wonder why Yate didn't just get a few
more developers instead of another project being started instead.  The
Freeswitch devs may have looked at it before starting a new project and I'm
curious as to why it was passed over.  Could it be because Yate is written
in C++?

Personally since even now Freeswitch has a bigger community I'd probably
only look at Yate to make sure I have a somewhat generic event model for
Vicidial (somewhere on my to-do list).

This message is by no means meant to be taken as an attack on Freeswitch.
I'm just curious.

Mike