[Freeswitch-users] T1 RBS Support?

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue Jul 8 23:02:42 PDT 2008

John,

We have had varying levels of success using RBS signaling.  I've
tinkered with it using a tor2 clone and my NEC NEAX2400 PBX.  Among the
tricks necessary to get it working is figuring out which side is FXO and
which side is FXS.  My PBX doesn't use FXO/FXS terminology so I just
basically threw every dip switch combo until I got it working.  (Well
sort of working - my PBX has a bug where a call made to the PBX from FS
won't allow a release/hangup unless the call gets transferred to a
different PBX extension.  Totally freaky and 100% reproducible every
time.  I have yet to find any NEC person who knows what to do.)

The trick to getting openzap working with RBS is to call your RBS span
an analog span.  (There are only "analog" and "PRI" spans at the moment,
and RBS signaling resembles analog signaling in that everything is
inband.)

The setup I used is documented here:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Openzap.conf_Examples#Tormenta2

Spans 1 and 2 in this config are RBS.  If you are using zaptel then you
must definitely will want to use zttool to watch the AB bits on your
channels so that you can see if the signaling is working.  Zttool will
at least let you know if your layer 1 communications are working.  (I
don't know about Sangoma or PIKA cards...)

Hope this helps.  Hop on #openzap on irc.freenode.net for live
discussions of TDM stuff and use #freeswitch for general fs discussions.

-MC