[Freeswitch-users] Extra loud prompts when transcoded from L16 at 8000 to G.722

Andy Spitzer woof at nortel.com
Mon Dec 22 13:55:05 PST 2008

Woof!

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:46:14 -0500, Brian West <brian at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> When we convert them from 48k we can lower the vol a bit more we are
> already doing it slightly.

The prompts we are using aren't from the FS set.  It's not a matter of adjusting the prompts, they've work fine for G.711 for years now--it's that when real-time transcoded by FS to G.722 the volume is loud.

Also, consider a call that comes in via G.711 and records a message, saved as L16 at 8000 in a .wav file.  Now play that recording back over G.722.  It's way louder than if played back over G.711.  So depending on which phone you pick up your messages on, the difference in percieved volume is quite dramatic.

--Woof!