[Freeswitch-users] Problems with Mod_openMRCP

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 22:11:35 PST 2008

Hi Anthony,
> mod_openmrcp was a contribution to the community by a 3rd party
> individual.
>
> As i have clearly stated in 2 previous emails, the man has decided to
> discontinue the openmrcp project.
> So now we are left with the remains of the module and discontinued
> code.  This was not our decision it was his.
I absolutely understand this but it's important, from a user point of
view, to be able to know which bits of FS are current/supported and
which aren't.
> Some people use it without issue which may mean that the crash you
> reported is windows specific and I do not have a working lab of any
> mrcp capbable system to try it against in unix for that matter.  I
> have a list of work to do from here to the moon and back so on an
> issue like this, unless someone can hand me login credentials to some
> box and give me a phone number to dial to reporduce the issue, it will
> be a long time until we can deal with it.
It's useful to know that there are people using mod_openmrcp without
issue: I did ask here if anyone was a while back, and no-one fessed up.
I'll give it a go on a Linux box and report back.  And if you'd like a
dev/test environment set up, then just tell me which one.
> And the question arises, should we bother working on it anymore if the
> lib has been abandoned and we cannot even get any support from it's
> author which is where the problem most likely lies.
>
> I try not to get too annoyed by these remarks about what we *ought to
> do* because I know people lose sight of how much of the work to
> support the project is done by a small group of 3 people and not the
> 2000 people it appears to be from the outside looking in. (I've been
> answering email for 4 hours now)
Those guys who claim to have all that money in an offshore bank account
are lying - you don't have to reply to them in future ;-)  Seriously,
though, I don't think it's too outrageous an idea to document what's
supported and were you (for example) to have suggested that I get in
touch with the contributors to the various modules, ask them what their
view of its status is, condense the answers in to a list and report
back, it's something I'd quite happily do.
> My suggestion is to pool some cash and pay the guy to make mod_unimrcp
> for FS that we can maintain in tree knowing the development can be
> supported by the original author.
Quite happy to participate in that, too.. the problem is that I've a
demo to do like yesterday and the timescale for mod_unimrcp is a bit on
the long side for that.  I'd rather not have to do it with Asterisk and
Lumenvox..!

Cheers --

Dave