[Freeswitch-users] execute_extension and javascript

UV uv at talknet.com.au
Mon Aug 18 07:53:06 PDT 2008

I have encountered this confusion few times already.
Not only the description in
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Misc._Dialplan_Tools_execute_extension is
ambiguous, everything about the syntax of "Execute_extension <ext_name>
[<Dialplan type> [<context>]]" implies that the FS interpreter does a
"procedure/subroutine call" to the Extension named <ext_name> where
actually, it simply run's through <context> dialplan masking the
${destination_number} as the <ext_name> (are you confused already?).

By no means this is a bug rather than simply MHO on misleading semantic
used.

My recommendation (if anyone asks), is to either:
1. Change the name of the application "execute_extension" to something like
"execute_destination".
2. Change the functionality of "execute_extension" to do what it's implying:
"gosub" to the named extension without changing the destination number (or
anything else) and returning back to after the call.

I'm appologizing in advance if once again I've stepped on anyone's toe, came
out as criticising FS or its developers, crossed anyone or spilled someone's
milk... :-)
It's just a matter I found myself helping others with more than a few times
already...