[Freeswitch-users] Dynamic SIP Gateways to register with

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 06:16:29 PDT 2008

Asterisk does let you reload, and it *tries* not to interrupt the calls but
it's like a game of Russian Roulette,
because at some point for sure you *will* deadlock and/or seg fault when you
reload.  There is an actual unavoidable race condition in many of the things
that they made reloadable  that  I have identified myself as a long  time
developer for the project and to this day still exist and are a major bullet
point to address on their roadmap for future releases. 1.8 maybe?

Our philosophy on reload is simple and strict.  Each module is responsible
independently for it's own ability to reload.
In the case of sofia, it was a year after it was written until I introduced
the profile restart command because it's
quite complicated and introduces a great challenge in stability.  Nearly all
of the elements in a sofia profile are things you must stop the profile to
change anyway.

There are a few innocuous params  that could be changed while it's running
so  I will say there is a possibility to make a sofia reload and a sofia
profile reload that unlike profile restart looks for profiles that do not
yet exist and brings them online and when they do exist only changes the
params that do not require a full restart of the sip engine (context to use,
dialplan, moh prefs vs bind url, sip specific options that cannot be
changed).

As part of this process the profiles could be rescanned for new gateways
that do not already exist and bring them online if they do not already
exist.  Removing them would require a full restart of that profile.

This idea I am willing to entertain but in the light of my horribly busy
schedule and the fact that the patch needs near surgical precision to avoid
tainting our release candidate state of stability. Not to mention I have
coded nearly 20,000 lines of mod_sofia pro bono  providing every SIP feature
anyone can ask for, I would like to see the bounty for it first. =D

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:16 AM, kokoska rokoska <kokoska.rokoska at post.cz>
wrote:

> Brian West napsal(a):
> > The gateway name has to already be unique.
> >

> Of course :-)
> But the names could change between config reloads - I think it is
> Anthony talked about.
> So gws could be recognized by names and the names of gws could not be
> changed or let's add another constant indetifier :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
> kokoska.rokoska

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/