[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch as a SIP Bridge

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Sat Apr 5 21:37:39 PDT 2008

Tim,

If you're comfortable with Linux then I would suggest starting there,
but you are by no means locked in.  Much of the development of FS is
done in CentOS, and I believe in a 64-bit hardware environment.  You'll
also find that the current documentation is slanted toward a Linux/Unix
environment.  This is probably due to the fact that most FS users don't
fall into the category of Microsoft fans. :-)  However, if you're 100%
VoIP then Windows should be fine.  (Please tell me you're not on
Vista!!)  The PSTN/TDM stuff gets a bit tricky in Windows, so be on the
lookout if you are thinking about future PSTN connectivity.

Personally, I'm using CentOS 5.1 and I'm extremely happy with the
performance and setup.  For the record, if you choose Gentoo then you're
quite likely to get yelled at! :-)

Let us know how it goes.  We'd be curious to see how FS stacks up in a
head-to-head comparison against Asterisk in your application.

Thanks again for checking it out,

MC