[Freeswitch-users] Should I choose FreeSwitch?

Lucia Rotger lrotger at aircomp.aero
Tue Sep 18 03:39:08 PDT 2007

I have to implement a production software PBX. After some googling I came
out with two candidates: Asterisk and FreeSwitch.

Asterisk looks like crap; granted, it's working in many installations and
seems to be readier for prime time. But just looking at their bugs puts me
away. Segfaults all over the place, crashes after handling a few hundred
calls: in short, very poor, sloppy programming I think. Maybe I'm wrong
here?

I like the way things are handled here and I like the coding style a lot.
I think it's a matter of time FS becomes a great piece of software. Also
 from looking at the bug tracker the issues don't seem to be like those
plaguing Asterisk.

What are your thoughts? apart from the obvious bias you have for FS since
you are here?

I'd also like to read documentation if I have to consider FreeSwitch. I
see the wiki is incomplete in many places. There are
variables/applications I can't even begin to guess what they do.

Also I'm aware that FS is a platform and Asterisk if just a PBX so its
ambitions are greater; in fact I only want a PBX not a communications
framework but as I've said above I feel Asterisk is going to be a lot of
pain.

The PBX will have to handle no more than 24 calls through 12 BRI channels.
The local phones will be SIP and the traffic will be mainly incoming calls
although outgoing calls will be made also. I've never touched anything
VoIP so I'm a total newbie.

Thanks,
Lucia Rotger