[Freeswitch-users] Is Freeswitch a good option for dynamic routing?

Chris Ziomkowski cziom at jsg.co.th
Mon Sep 3 01:36:45 PDT 2007

I need to create a simple wholesale switching application that consists
of receiving a call via H.323 or SIP, running a custom algorithm and
lookup to translate the incoming DNIS into a new number, and the
processing this new number through a standard A-Z routing table for
termination.

The 2 platforms for this application I am considering are Asterisk and
Freeswitch. Asterisk has the advantage that I'm familiar with its
structure and configuration, therefore I can modify it and make it work
quickly. The downside is it is clumsy for wholesale switching and does
not scale well. Freeswitch seems to be a better bet given that I would
like to scale this application to several thousand simultaneous calls,
however I am under a time crunch to get a test application up and running.

Can someone suggest to me if Freeswitch would be a good platform for
this? If so, where would be the best place to plug in my custom
translation routine?   Can Freeswitch route signalling only, e.g.
RTP/media goes directly from gateway to gateway without passing my
network? If so, how can that be configured?

I apologize for asking without completely studying all the available
documentation and code, but as I said I am under pressure and I was
hoping some benevolent individual would point me in the right direction
to expedite this.

Thank you for any assistance.

Best Regards,

Chris Ziomkowski