[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH Wikipedia Article

Santiago Gimenez Ocano sxntixgo at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:03:10 PDT 2007

I can translate articles to spanish.

Regards,
Santiago

Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:32:23 +0200
From: trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
To: freeswitch-users at lists.freeswitch.org
Subject: Re: [Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH Wikipedia Article

The problem from their eyes is that its not a 3rd party writing it, its not even hosted on a 3rd party site.  There are some that misunderstand policy vs guidelines and what is and what isnt acceptable.  For example the part about the caveman and all could probably be gleaned from the way back machine as an authoritative source for 3rd party confirmation that the webpage did have a caveman cutting wheels saying 'there are a lot of wheels we might as well use some' they just deleted it because there wasnt a 3rd party cite.

Also, it has been requested that all FS affiliated people do not post on the article itself, instead post what you think should be added to the talk page.

My guess is that it will ultimately be deleted, and that in 2-3 months, providing there are articles published (not on blogs!) by "reputable" (computerworld was deemed non-reputable because a mod hadnt heard of them - sigh) sites that discuss the various aspects, then it can likely be recreated.  It will get deleted again if its just put back without new cites - see the YATE history of calltech deleting it because 2 days before it got deleted (he is the one that deleted it, openser, callweaver all the first time too).

These articles can be helpful regardless of whether or not it ever makes it into wikipedia.

The articles should be on:
* performance
          ken is doing what I hope to be a replicatable performance and benchmarking test suite

          others should do that as well, perhaps following his methodology to some extent

          the more impartial these tests are, the more open the information is on the test conditions, the better the results

          be prepared however, because it ALWAYS happens, that someone will attack the test criteria or methods used, this is actually a good thing
          (if you can weed out the attack from the meaningful reasons why it happened).  If people point to flaws in the testing, you can incorporate them

          into new tests, which dont have those flaws and come up with an even better benchmark.

* features
          need a good write up of what FS can do, what comes with it, maybe 'sound bites' from tony and a few others.  This should be in plain english

          as best as possible.  That way non-techies can understand it better, which generally makes for a better article anyway.

          I would guess that not more than 20% of the article should be sound bites, because that tends to slant what is being presented

          independant authors need to write more about their opinions and support that with facts, rather than just quoting someone for 90% of it

* development philoposy
          FreeSWITCH[tm] is a library, yes it comes with a small exe to load that and launch the core, but its a lib and can be embedded (key fact overlooked)

          FreeSWITCH[tm] has an abstraction layer that prevents module cross-dependancy (I cant find ANYTHING that discusses that)

          Tony you care to chime in on a few more dev philoposy things, since I am sure there are more

* Other libs that FreeSWITCH[tm] created
          openzap
          teletone
          stfu (if its generic enough to be useful elsewhere - jitterbuffer lib)
          dingaling
          others?

No single article has to be on, and in some cases its better if they arent on everything.  They can be 1-2 page shorter writeups that discuss some aspect and how that interrelates to other things.  From what I listed I see 15 more or less unique articles that can be written which all complement each other, and when taken as a whole give a much better and bigger picture of what FreeSWITCH[tm] is and how its helped the open source telephony community.

If we get articles written and published in many places two things happen, one it starts to generate a buzz about the project, which can help enlist others to help write code, documentation, add-on programs, etc, and two it helps to establish that its a real program with real qualities that while we can say it, it doesnt seem to be catching hold.  In addition the more unique sources that we have the better it seems.  If there are only 3 writers that ever write about something it doesnt seem as persuavasive as if there are 300 :)

Dont underestimate the power of being a freelance writer - many publications will accept articles and publish them if they are well written, which can help you get started if you want to be a writer, help get your name out as an authority on some subject, if you want that.  And at the same time help what you write about :)

And finally lets not forget that there is a spanish freeswitch, russian and perhaps other language pages that can be created on wikipedia.  On es.wikipedia.com
, ru.wikipedia.com and perhaps other places FreeSWITCH is linked in, but there is no page created yet.  So speaking english isnt that big of a thing.  I did come across some portuguese articles on FS in the last couple days, from some brazilian paper that did a write up, I however couldnt understand what was being said, so I dnt know the context.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200