[Freeswitch-users] load average

Brian West brian.west at mac.com
Sat Nov 24 13:39:51 PST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Freeswitch Freeswitch wrote:

> Does anyone know of kernel tweaks that can be done to optimize
> running FS on linux?
>
> I just completed a test running 800 calls ( 1600 streams ) on a Dell
> 1950 with dual 2.33GHz and 2 gig of ram.

64bit Woodcrest Xeons?

> Call scenario was FS running as SIP B2BUA for purposes of topology
> hiding and dtmf 2833 interworking.
>
> Calls were a mix of 711 and 729
>
> Everything worked perfect
>
> Load average on the box rose over 50 ( processes in the queue ) at
> one point.

Shouldn't be an issue.

> CPU was running between 150% and 180% ( keep in mind there are 2
> dual core CPUs so 4 total )

This should be fine.  So you're using about 1.5 - 1.8 of your CPU's
you still have some to spare.

> Bandwidth usage was about 80 M

1200 calls of ulaw hit the imit of 100mbit ethernet so you're cutting
it very close.

> Should I worry about that load average number? Seems high but test
> calls sounded fine.

Not at all. But you'll get better performance out of the newer intel
boxes.