[Freeswitch-users] Answering machine detection

tuhl at ix.netcom.com tuhl at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 23 10:22:14 PDT 2007

I checked the wiki and the archive and couldn't find anything along
these lines.... I have an application which will call a list of
numbers and play a .wav file (basic JS code below). It starts playing
the .wav file 1s after the user answers. This works, unless my app
calls an answering machine (like a POTS one at home, or my cellphone
voice mail). I need a way to determine that some audio greeting is
being played back to me from the remote end (more than just a live
human saying "Hello"), ignore it, then wait for the 'beep' tone when
the answering machine starts recording, and then start playing my
.wav file. Does anyone know if that tone is a standard tone? Is it
DTMF so that teletone can detect it, or is it something else (it
sounds like a single tone to me, not dual-tone). Will every answering
machine/voice mail system in the world generate the same tone?

   session.originate(target,target);
   session.waitForAnswer(30000);
   session.execute("sleep","1000");
   session.streamFile( AudioFile, "","");